I recently found out that I have pre-diabetes, meaning I need to lose weight and control my glucose levels. If I can do this, then I can reverse it and it won’t proceed on to full blow diabetes. Therefore, I have searched for recipes that will keep me interested in healthier foods while still getting that yummy flavor. I have to keep track of the carbs (starches & sugars) that I take in and eat more veggies! I have included 3 recipes that I hope to try in the near future.
Autumn Chopped Salad
- 6-8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium pears, chopped (my thoughts **apples**)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled (my thoughts **turkey bacon**)
- 4-6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Poppy seed Salad Dressing (70%)
- Balsamic Vinaigrette (30%)
- In a small bowl, mix the poppy seed salad dressing (70%) and balsamic vinaigrette (30%).
- In a salad bowl, combine the lettuce, pears, cranberries, pecans, bacon and feta cheese.
- Drizzle the mixed dressing on to salad.
- 3 avocados
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 1/4 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Dice and chop avocados, red onions, roma tomatoes and cilantro.
- Combine the above ingredients in a medium bowl
- Add lime juice, pepper and garlic salt
- Toss and lightly stir to combine flavors
Buffalo Chicken Rolls
- 1 pkg. egg roll wrappers
- chicken, cooked and shredded
- hot wing sauce
- blue cheese, crumbled
- shredded broccoli slaw or cabbage
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Lay the egg roll wrappers on a clean work surface
- In a small bowl, stir chicken and hot sauce until well coated, depending on preference.
- Crumble the blue cheese
- Place about 1 tbsp of slaw on the bottom right corner of wrapper
- Place about 2 tbsp of shredded spicy chicken on top of the slaw.
- Place 1 tbsp of blue cheese crumbles on top of chicken.
- Repeat with the rest of the wrappers.
- Roll the wrappers by folding bottom right corner over the filling (top point is in center of food)
- Fold bottom left corner over and toward upper right corner. Fold the upper right corner down toward bottom left corner (should look like envelope).
- Roll over once, wet finger in water, gently press on open top left corner of wrapper. Bring that corner down and press it to seal.
- Repeat this with the rest of the wrappers.
- Coat a wire rack with nonstick cooking spray and set on top of cookie sheet.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees, or until crisp and light golden brown.
Recipes & images found at the following websites: